Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bad Lance!

I love hearing about Lance Armstrong in the news. I have no idea why because I have never really been interested in cycling, minus the few vomit-inducing spin classes I've done over the years.
So Imagine my delight today when I saw this story by Reuters on the NY Time's website.
An unidentifiable French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) employee approached Armstrong last month, while Armstrong was training in France, requesting blood, urine and hair samples to test for illegal drug-use.
The AFLD filed a complaint to the International Cycling Union (UIC), saying that Armstrong behaved oddly when the samples were requested.
Lance told authorities and the press that he did not know who the guy was.
"I had never heard of labs or governments doing drug testing and I had no idea who this guy was or whether he was telling the truth," said Armstrong.
Naturally, he was skeptical of a random dude asking him for his pee. Who wouldn't be?
Armstrong requested that the man show him identification.
The tester did, but Armstrong and his team manager got no real evidence from the papers he produced.
"I was there with (team manager) Johan Bruyneel and two other people," Armstrong said in a statement. "We told the tester we wanted to check with the UCI to confirm who he was and to make sure he wasn't just some French guy with a backpack and some equipment to take my blood and urine."
As creepy as that would be, I'm sure it has been done.
Once Armstrong received confirmation of the tester's authority, he immediately complied, making this the 24th drug test he has taken since his return from retirement. (Uhh, how long has it been? A few months?)
It is only natural for the host country of one of the world's biggest cycling races to question a man who has won it a billion times (or seven times...but who's counting), especially when he's coming off of a very recent collarbone surgery and is still looking good to compete this year. But, without having been there, it seems a little shady for someone to approach him without immediately supplying documentation of authority.
I'm not saying the French are weirdos or anything like that...

2 comments:

  1. Ha, oh Lance. I bought his "livestrong" Nike brand shoe. Quite comfy to tell you the truth. Enjoy the birthday festivities this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy YOUR national festivities, PG. Blog about it!!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete